Learning and development
Our people development strategy ensures we attract, nurture and retain the very best people, creating an environment where they can perform effectively and contribute to the delivery of our super regional strategy. We develop our employees for success in their role; to be truly customer-centric; and for skills that will enhance their ability, including leadership skills, to relate to others inside and outside the work environment.
Our learning and development opportunities include:
- on-the-job experiences
- peer coaching
- coaching and development discussions with managers
- secondment and project opportunities
- formal learning, including online and face-to-face
- formal education.
We examine individual learning needs and consider options to achieve a balance between the needs of the learner, the time frames in which skills are needed, the geographic spread of our people, and the depth of skill transfer or change management.
We work with a wide range of partners to ensure the learning we offer is international in scope, incorporates leading-edge approaches, and is made available to our people wherever they are located.
At any one time, we also have a number of employees on temporary international assignments or who move permanently across the 33 countries in which we operate. This enables key people to build a ‘wide angle lens’.
Our learning approach focuses on building core capabilities for our business:
- Core banking skills: developing broad competence in the knowledge, behaviours, technical and professional skills as well as systems and processes to meet and exceed our customers' needs.
- Learning for leadership and talent: we invest in talent pool identification and development from graduates to senior executives - taking both an enterprise and divisional perspective.
- ANZ values and culture: reinforcing and building ANZ values to achieve our desired culture.
- ANZ competencies: building proficiency in our eight global ANZ competencies that are grouped into four clusters – Insight, Engagement and Action – focusing on our customers at the centre.
- Learning infrastructure: ensuring that we have systems to ensure effective and efficient learning opportunities for our people wherever they are located.
All figures reported are accurate as at end September 2013