At ANZ, we constantly seek to enhance our security measures so as to give our customers greater assurance when banking with us. In line with the Association of Banks in Singapore (ABS)’s recent announcement on an industry-wide initiative to introduce a range of new security measures, we have adopted a series of additional controls to better safeguard the interests of our customers. To enjoy this greater peace of mind, it is important that you update your contact details by calling our 24-hour Customer Service Hotline at 1800 269 2269 (or +65 6269 2269 if overseas).
Enhancement of card security
Our enhanced suite of security measures includes
- ANZ Credit Card activation for first-time use
- Embedded EMV Smart Chip cards to replace magnetic stripe-only cards
- Transaction Alerts via SMS for transactions above a pre-defined threshold
- Introduction of One-Time Password (OTP) for online transactions.
ANZ Credit Card activation required for first-time use
From 21 July 2012, all newly issued ANZ Credit Cards will be sent out in a deactivated state. Before using your card, you will need to call our 24-hour Customer Service Hotline at 1800 269 2269 (or +65 6269 2269 if overseas) to activate it This security measure will reduce any risks of unauthorised use of your new ANZ Credit Card should it not reach you.
Embedded EMV Smart Chips to replace magnetic stripe-only cards
With the embedded EMV Smart Chips, it becomes a greater challenge for fraud syndicates to decode information stored on your card. Compared to the previous magnetic-stripe only cards, the new cards will greatly reduce the risk of your information being illegally copied. With this new technology in place, all ANZ Credit Cardmembers can now make retail purchases with greater assurance.
Transaction Alert via SMS for transactions above pre-defined threshold
As another deterrent to fraudulent activity, transaction alerts will be sent to all ANZ Credit Cardmembers via SMS (Short Message Service) whenever a purchase equal to or more than the pre-defined amount of S$500 is charged to either the main or supplementary Card. You can vary the default threshold of S$500 through our 24-hour Customer Service Hotline. If the purchase is neither transacted by you nor your supplementary cardmember, you should notify us immediately by calling us at our 24-hour Customer Service Hotline 1800 269 2269 (or +65 6269 2269 if overseas).
The SMS will be sent to the Principal Cardmember’s mobile number recorded on our system. Please update us with your current mobile number if you have not done so.
Introduction of One-Time Password (OTP) for online transactions
This is an additional layer of security specifically for your online transactions. Whenever you make an online purchase with your credit card at participating 3-D Secure (3DS) merchants, you will be asked to enter an OTP (One-time Password), which will be sent to you via SMS (to the mobile number recorded on our system), before the transaction can be approved. This will increase security against online fraud, as online purchases will be made only after authorisation is obtained from the credit cardholder.
Please note that this additional security measure is only applicable to participating 3DS merchants with 3DS authentication protocols such as “SecureCode” (MasterCard).
ANZ Credit Card activation required for first-time use
|Why do I need to activate my ANZ Credit Card?|
As part of our continuing efforts to enhance credit card security, we will be issuing all credit cards, including supplementary cards, in a deactivated state. This security measure will reduce the risk of unauthorised parties using your ANZ Credit Card before it reaches you.
|Can I use my ANZ Credit Card if I have not activated it?|
No, activation is required before your ANZ Credit Card can be used.
|How do I activate my ANZ Credit Card?|
Please contact our 24-hour Customer Service Hotline at 1800 269 2269 (or +65 6269 2269 if overseas) to activate your card.
|Can my ANZ Supplementary Cardmember activate his/her Supplementary Card?|
Only the ANZ Principal Cardmember will be authorised to activate both the Principal Card and the Supplementary Card.
EMV Smart Chip
|What is EMV Smart Chip?|
EMV (Europay, Mastercard and VISA) is a global security standard for chip-based card transactions which ensures security when making transactions. This smart chip is globally accepted and provides tightened control against fraudulent activities.
|Why do the bank needs to replace the current magnetic stripe card with a EMV Smart Chip Card?|
An embedded EMV Smart Chip Card provides greater security than a magnetic stripe card. It prevents information from being easily copied as it contains a microprocessor chip. An EMV Smart Chip Card also stores more data that uniquely identifies the card and its Cardmember, reducing the possibility for fraudsters to decode the card.
|Can I use my EMV Smart Chip Card for online purchase?|
Yes, your new EMV Smart Chip Card can be used for online transactions.
Transaction Alert via SMS
|What is a Transaction Alert?|
Transaction alerts, introduced by the Monetary Authority of Singapore, are an added layer of security. Whenever a transaction exceeds a pre-defined threshold (default set at S$500 or the foreign currency equivalent for a non-local transaction), you will receive an SMS from the Bank informing you of such a transaction. You will need to contact ANZ immediately if you or your supplementary cardmember did not authorise the transaction. You may opt-out or change the pre-defined threshold by calling our 24-hour Customer Service hotline at 1800 269 2269.
|When will I receive my SMS Transaction Alert?|
You will receive an alert when
|Will there be a charge imposed for SMS Transaction Alerts?|
No, this service is provided free of charge. However, in the event you are outside of Singapore, you should check with your mobile service provider whether an SMS sent from Singapore and received overseas is chargeable. SMS fees imposed by your mobile service provider shall be borne by you.
|Can I change my threshold amount?|
Yes, you can change the pre-defined threshold by calling our 24-hour Customer Service hotline at 1800 269 2269.
|Can I choose to opt out from this SMS Transaction Alert Service?|
Yes, you can choose to opt out.
One-Time Password (OTP) for online transactions
|What is 3-D Secure?|
3-D Secure refers to Three Domain Secure, which is the payment industry’s internet authentication standard. 3DS is an added security measure for online Credit Card transactions. The Cardmember will be required to enter a One-Time Password when he/she makes a purchase at a merchant’s website that uses 3DS before the transaction can be completed.
|How do I enroll for 3DS with ANZ?|
All ANZ Cardmembers will automatically be enrolled with 3DS.
|How do I identify participating 3DS merchants?|
Participating 3DS merchants can be identified by the display logos (such as VISA’s Verified-by-VISA and MasterCard Secure logos) found on their official website.
Terms and conditions
1. The SMS Transaction Alert Service and One-Time Password Service (“Services”) shall be provided by Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited (“Bank”) to all principal and supplementary ANZ Credit Cardmembers (“Cardmembers”), whose Credit Card accounts are in good standing and who have registered or updated their latest mobile number with the Bank.
2. When making a transaction using the ANZ Credit Card for amounts S$500 and above, Cardmembers will be notified via short message service (“SMS”) of such transactions (“SMS Transaction Alert”). The Bank reserves the right to amend the pre-defined amount from time to time.
3. When making an online transaction using the ANZ Credit Card at a 3DS merchant’s website, the Bank shall send to the Cardmember a One-Time Password via SMS and the Cardmember shall use this One-Time Password to complete the transaction.
4. The Cardmember will receive the SMS Transaction Alert and/or One-Time Password on the latest mobile phone number that they had registered with the Bank.
5. Cardmembers shall ensure that all their particulars are updated with the Bank and shall be liable for the accuracy of their own particulars provided to the Bank. Cardmembers shall inform the Bank immediately of any changes in their particulars.
6. In the event of suspected misuse of the SMS Transaction Alert and/or One-Time Password, the Cardmember shall notify the Bank immediately.
7. Cardmembers shall be liable for the use of the Services, and shall agree and act prudently to safeguard the security of the Services and their mobile phone. In the event that the Cardmember breaches any of these terms and conditions, the Cardmember shall be responsible for all claims, losses, damages, liabilities, costs and other consequences arising from such breach.
8. In the event whereby the SMS Transaction Alert and/or One-Time Password is viewed or accessed by anyone other than the intended Cardmember (whether inadvertent or otherwise), the Bank shall not be liable for any claims, losses, damages, liabilities, costs arising thereof.
9. The SMS Transaction Alert and/or One-Time Password sent to the Cardmember are not encrypted and may constitute information pertaining to the transaction made.
10. Cardmembers shall ensure that their mobile phone is able to receive SMS in or out of Singapore. Fees imposed by mobile service providers shall be borne by the Cardmember.
11. The Bank shall not be held responsible for any claims, damages, losses, liabilities, expenses or costs (including legal cost), whether directly or indirectly, foreseeable or not, to Cardmembers arising from any SMS sent relating to the SMS Transaction Alert and/or One-Time Password (including but not limited to):
a. Non-receipt of SMS, delay in receipt of SMS, wrong SMS delivered, or
partial delivery of an SMS to the Cardmember;
b. Inaccuracy of contents in an SMS;
c. Disclosure (inadvertent or otherwise) of the details of an SMS to a third
party or any unauthorised persons other than the Cardmember; and/or
d. The Cardmember’s reliance or use of information on the SMS for any
12. The Bank reserves the right to vary, amend, add or remove any of these terms and conditions from time to time without prior notice to the Cardmembers.
13. The Bank reserves the sole right to suspend, terminate and/or impose a charge for the Service without prior notice.
14. These terms and conditions shall be governed by the laws of Singapore. By participating in the Services, Cardmembers irrevocably submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of Singapore Courts.
You need Adobe Reader to view PDF files. You can download Adobe Reader free of charge.