A selection of speeches, articles and presentations by Economics & Global Markets Research economists.
- Is the US dollar in danger of losing its reserve currency status? – July 2009 (PDF 164kB)
Paper presented by Saul Eslake to the International Conference of Commercial Bank Economists (ICCBE) in Munich, Germany on 3rd July 2009.
- Presentation to the International Conference of Commercial Bank Economists (ICCBE) - July 2009 (PDF 240kB)
Slides accompanying Saul Eslake's presentation to the (ICCBE) in Munich, Germany on 1st July 2009
- The global financial crisis and its impact on the Australian economy – June 2009 (PDF 268kB)
Presentation to the Queensland CFO Symposium, Brisbane 3 June 2009.
- Economics, interest rates and currencies chart pack prepared for ANZ senior management - February 2009 (PDF 412kB)
Charts prepared for the February meeting of ANZ's Group Assets and Liabilities Committee, which oversees the management of ANZ's balance sheet.
- Presentation to ANZ WA's annual "Football and economics" breakfast - February 2009 (PDF 344kB)
Slides accompanying Saul Eslake's presentation to this annual event held at the Perth Convention Exhibition Centre on 11 February 2009, along with former Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy.
- Submission to senate inquiry into Government fiscal measures - February 2009 (PDF 71kB)
Text of remarks by Saul Eslake to the Senate Standing Committee on Finance and Public Administration's inquiry into the fiscal measures proposed by the Australian Government, on 9 February 2009.
Special feature on global markets
- Saul Eslake, ANZ Chief Economist gives his opinion on the global credit crisis and what it means for Australia in video interview on Friday 24 October 2008 (WMV 38MB)
Please note: This video runs for 14 and a half minutes and is 38MB. This may take some time to play. If you have a slow internet connection, we recommend that you read the transcript.
- Economics, interest rates and currencies chart pack presented to ANZ senior management - December 2008 (PDF 567kB)
Set of charts prepared for the quarterly meeting of ANZ's Assets and Liabilities Committee (which oversees the management of ANZ's balance sheet) on 9 December 2008
- Some reflections on the differences between recessions and depressions - November 2008 (PDF 102kB)
- Some reflections on government responses to the global financial crisis - October 2008 (PDF 28kB)
- "Plenty of bumps before we're out of this mess" - October 2008 (PDF 28kB)
Saul Eslake's responses to a "roundtable discussion" among economists published by the Financial Review on 11 October 2008
- Implications of the global financial crisis for the Australian economy - October 2008 (PDF 21kB)
Op-ed article published in the Melbourne Herald-Sun on 11 October 2008
- Why Australian house prices aren't likely to fall - October 2008 (PDF 34kB)
Some thoughts about the impact of the financial crisis on Australian house prices: the key message being that, in general, across-the-board falls in Australian house prices along the lines now happening in the US and Britain seem unlikely.
- Turbulent times for the global and Australian economies - October 2008 (PDF 472kB)
Chart pack used in presentations by Saul Eslake around Australia in early October
- New fiscal possibilities - September 2008 (PDF 75kB)
Talk by Saul Eslake to Australia and New Zealand School of Government Annual Conference on 'Making Federalism Work', 12 September 2008
- Change in interest rate outlook - September 2008 (PDF 20kB)
Article prepared for September 2008 issue of Accelerated Answers, a newsletter for clients of ANZ Margin Lending
- Presentation to Victorian parliamentary Labor Party offsite - August 2008 (PDF 143kB)
Slides accompanying Saul Eslake's talk to an offsite held by the Victorian Cabinet and Parliamentary Labor Party at Macedon, north-west of Melbourne, on 15 August 2008, looking at longer-term economic and job prospects for Victoria.
- Presentation to international CEO forum - August 2008 (PDF 346kB)
Slides accompanying Saul Eslake's presentation to an international CEO forum in Melbourne on 14 August 2008. (Similar presentations were also given to ANZ rural and regional banking events in Hamilton, Victoria on 4 August and Port Lincoln, SA, on 12 August).
- Economic consequences of an ETS - August 2008 (PDF 27kB)
Article by Saul Eslake and Julie Toth published by the Australian Financial Review on 6 August 2008.
- Presentation to ASX/ASA investor hour lunchtime lecture - August 2008 (PDF 364kB)
Slides accompanying Saul Eslake's talk to the Australian Stock Exchange/Australian Shareholders' Association lunchtime lecture series in Melbourne on 6 August 2008
- Reserve Bank signals rate cut coming soon - August 2008 (PDF 21kB)
Op-ed article by Saul Eslake published by the Australian Financial Review on 6 August 2008
- Economics, interest rates and currencies chart pack for ANZ senior management - June 2008 (PDF 741kB)
Chart pack prepared for the quarterly meeting of ANZ's Group Assets and Liabilities Committee, which oversees the management of ANZ's balance sheet
- The return of stagflation? - June 2008 (PDF 22kB)
Op-ed article by Saul Eslake published in the Australian Financial Review 18 June 2008
- The world economy and Australia's resources sector - May 2008 (PDF 252kB)
Presentation by Saul Eslake to the WA Mining Club, 20 May 2008
- Inflation and the Reserve Bank's inflation target - April 2008 (PDF 24kB)
Article by Saul Eslake published in the Australian Financial Review on 30 April 2008
- Reflections on the 2020 Summit and proposals for tax reform - April 2008 (PDF 21kB)
Article by Saul Eslake published in the Business section of the Melbourne Age newspaper on 25 April 2008
- Education, innovation and Australia's economic future - April 2008 (PDF 65kB)
Address by Saul Eslake to the annual conference of the Australian College of Educators, 14 April 2008
- Property industry outlook for 2008 - Brisbane - April 2008 (PDF 396kB)
- Property industry outlook for 2008 - Melbourne - April 2008 (PDF 400kB)
- Property industry outlook for 2008 - Sydney - April 2008 (PDF 399kB)
In April Institutional launched the inaugural ANZ Property Industry Forums in Melbourne, Sydney and Queensland. Attended by senior Chief Financial Officers (CFOs) and Chief Executive Officers (CEOs), the forums provided our key institutional banking and corporate banking property clients with the property industry outlook for 2008. Guest speaker on the day was Paul Braddick, Head of ANZ Property and Financial System Research. Paul's presentations provided clients with valuable insights around how current market factors might influence the outlook of the property industry in 2008
- Economics, interest rates and currencies chart pack for ANZ senior management - March 2008 (PDF 423kB)
Chart pack prepared for the quarterly meeting of ANZ's Group Asset and Liabilities Committee on 5 March 2008
- Presentation to ABARE outlook conference - March 2008 (220kB)
Saul Eslake's presentation to the Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics (ABARE) Annual outlook conference in Canberra on 4 March 2008
- Talk to the NSW Fabian Society - February 2008 (PDF 45kB)
Talk by Saul Eslake to the NSW Branch of the Fabian Society in Sydney on 20 February 2008 on 'Economic Challenges Facing the New Labor Government'. The Fabian Society is a 'think tank' which, according to its website, aims to "contribute to a renaissance of left of centre and progressive thought, by generating, and disseminating ideas that are original, meet the challenge of the times, and are of high intellectual quality", and is modelled on the British society of the same name founded in the late 19th century by Sidney and Beatrice Webb (who also established the London School of Economics), George Bernard Shaw and others.
- Economic outlook for 2008 (PDF 333kB)
Presentation by Saul Eslake to various groups of ANZ customers during February 2008, examining the current upheavals in global financial markets, their implications for the world economy and for Asia, and the outlook for the Australian economy and markets in 2008.
- China and India in the world economy: Implications for Australia - February 2008 (PDF 302kB)
Presentation to a CFO Forum in Melbourne on 5 February 2008
- Re-orienting Fiji for growth - December 2007 (PDF 352kB)
- Korea and Australia in a globalised world - November 2007 (PDF 136kB)
- ANZ election result report - November 2007 (PDF 282kB)
- Economics, interest rates and currencies chart pack - November 2007 (PDF 967kB)
Chart pack prepared for the 23 November 2007 quarterly meeting of ANZ's Group Assets and Liabilities Committee which oversees the management of ANZ's balance sheet
- Asian ALCO - October 2007 (PDF 446kB)
A presentation by Amy Auster prepared for Asian ALCO during October 2007
- ANZ election 2007 update - October 2007 (PDF 220kB)
- Economic influences on the Australian mortgage market - October 2007 (PDF 522kB)
Presentation by Saul Eslake to Choice Aggregation Services' annual conference in Perth on 3 October 2007
- Presentation to agribusiness seminars in conjunction with field days - September/October 2007 (PDF 714kB)
Slides used by Saul Eslake in presentations to ANZ Rural Regional Banking field day agribusiness seminars in Albury (NSW), Geraldton (WA), Moonta (SA) and Echuca (Vic) in September and October 2007
- Social policy in a fully employed economy - September 2007 (PDF 105kB)
The 2007 Sambell Oration to a Brotherhood of St Laurence conference on 'The economic and social imperative: tapping the potential of disadvantaged Australians' in Melbourne on 27 September 2007
- How the China-driven commodities boom is driving Australia's and Britain's economic cycles apart - September 2007 (PDF 61kB)
Address by Saul Eslake to an Australia-Britain Chamber of Commerce lunch in Melbourne on 26 September 2007
- Behind the recent turmoil in global financial markets - September 2007 (PDF 27kB)
A note prepared by Saul Eslake for inclusion in a forthcoming newsletter for ANZ Margin Lending clients
- Economics, interest rates and currencies chart pack prepared for ANZ senior management - August 2007 (PDF 586kB)
Presentation by Saul Eslake to the quarterly meeting of ANZ's Group Asset and Liabilities Committee, which oversees the management of ANZ's balance sheet, on 24 August 2007
- Reserve Bank's latest rate hike underscores its independence - August 2007 (PDF 23kB)
Op-ed article by Saul Eslake published in the Melbourne Age on 9 August 2007
- Economic outlook for Asia - July 2007 (PDF 874kB)
Presentation by Saul Eslake to the International Conference of Commercial Bank Economists in Madrid, Spain on 4 July 2007
- How the commodity boom is underwriting the renewed acceleration in Australian economic growth - June 2007 (PDF 22kB)
Op-ed article by Saul Eslake on the March quarter 2007 national accounts, published in the Australian Financial Review on Thursday 7 June 2007
- Outlook for the Australian economy and property markets - June 2007 (PDF 455kB)
Presentation by Saul Eslake to a luncheon hosted by the Victorian division of the Property Council of Australia in Melbourne on 1 June 2007
- Financial implications of an aging Population - May 2007 (PDF 644kB)
Presentation by Saul Eslake to Aged Community Care Victoria's annual state congress on 25 May 2007. It updates previous presentations on this subject to incorporate the conclusions of the Government's most recent intergenerational report published in April this year
- Economics, interest rates and currencies chart set prepared for ANZ senior management - May 2007 (PDF 724kB)
A collection of charts on the global, Australian and New Zealand economies, interest rates and currencies prepared for the meeting of ANZ's Group Asset Liability Committee (which oversees the management of ANZ's balance sheet) on 25 May 2007
- Post-budget presentation to Canberra branch of the Economics Society - May 2007 (PDF 743kB)
Presentation by Saul Eslake to the Canberra branch of the Economics Society on 14 May 2007 - a more detailed look at the 2007-2008 budget than was possible on the night of the Treasurer's budget speech
- Commuting the death sentence: The role of editors in the Australian economy - May 2007 (PDF 68kB)
Address by Saul Eslake to the 3rd National Conference of the Institute of Professional Editors in Hobart on 11 May 2007. ('Death Sentence' was the title of a 2003 book by Don Watson, a speechwriter for former Prime Minister Paul Keating, decrying the 'decay of public language').
- Global, Australian and NZ economies: presentations to clients in South East Asia (PDF 1MB)
Slides used by Saul Eslake in presentations to clients in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok from 23-26 April 2007
- Economists and the arts - April 2007 (PDF 80kB)
Talk by Saul Eslake to a dinner hosted by the Australia-Israel Chamber of Commerce and the Australian Business Arts Foundation in Adelaide on 16 April 2007, looking at the contributions of three economists to public and private support for the arts in Britain and Australia and at the broader case for support for the arts.
- New threats to globalisation - April 2007 (PDF 70kB)
Saul Eslake's address to the 20th Annual Asian Trade Promotion Forum, hosted by the Australian Trade Commission (Austrade) at the Sydney Opera House on 12 April 2007
- Economic influences on the Australian housing market (report) - March 2007 (PDF 23kB)
- Economic influences on the Australian housing market (slides) - March 2007 (PDF 451kB)
Presentation by Saul Eslake to the Australian Financial Review's Housing Congress in Melbourne on 8 March 2007, and an op-ed piece published in the Financial Review on 12 March 2007 based on this presentation.
- Outlook for the Australian economy in 2007 (PDF 630kB)
Slides used by Saul Eslake in presentations to ANZ customers and a number of business conferences around Australia during February 2007, assessing the outlook for the global and Australian economies in 2007.
- Outlook for the Japanese economy in 2007 (PDF 352kB)
Presentation by Saul Eslake to the Queensland Japan Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Brisbane on 23 February 2007
- Economic outlook for 2007 (PDF 542kB)
Saul Eslake's presentation to the annual ANZ-West Coast Eagles 'Footy and economics' breakfast in Perth, Western Australia, on 16 February 2007. The breakfast was attended by over 1000 people and also addressed by 2006 AFL premiership coach John Worsfold.
- The Australian economy - 2007 Edition (PDF 503kB)
Saul Eslake's annual presentation to visiting economics and politics students from the University of Delaware (on 15 January 2007), which looks at the performance of the Australian economy over the past two decades and compares and contrasts it with that of the United States.
- An introduction to the Australian economy - 2007 edition (PDF 471kB)The annual update of a primer on the Australian economy for foreign investors and analysts, originally created in 2000 for Encyclopedia Americana
- Whatever happened to the 'productivity revolution'? - January 2007 (PDF 37kB)
Extended version of an op-ed article published in the Sydney Morning Herald on 10 January 2007
- Key influences on the outlook for Australian financial markets in 2007 - January 2007 (PDF 24kB)
Op-ed piece by Saul Eslake published by the Australian Financial Review on 8 January 2007
Trading with China
RMB Liberalisation presents new opportunities for Australian businesses.
Watch the webcast video.
- ANZ CPI Review Q4 2010 (PDF 56kB)
- The CNY Revaluation? Where are we now and what will happen next? April 13 2010 (WMV 20.5MB)
Please note: This video runs for 32.46 minutes and is 20.5MB. This may take some time to play. If you have a slow internet connection, we recommend that you read the chart pack.
- Chart pack (PDF 216kB)
IMPORTANT NOTICE : PLEASE READ THESE TERMS CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE MATERIAL ON THIS WEB PAGE AND THE WEB PAGES ACCESSED THROUGH IT (TOGETHER, THE “WEBSITE”). BY USING THIS WEBSITE YOU INDICATE THAT YOU ACCEPT THESE TERMS. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THESE TERMS, PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS WEBSITE.
Please note the information on this website is of a general nature only. It does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situation and needs. It does not constitute an offer, invitation, inducement, solicitation or recommendation to subscribe for, or purchase, any security or financial product, nor does it contain investment recommendations or advice. ANZ recommends that you seek independent professional advice that takes into account your investment objectives, financial situation, particular needs and/or other personal circumstances, before making any investment decision or otherwise acting upon information contained or referred to in this website.
Neither Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited
(ABN 11 005 357 522) (“ANZ”) or any of its related bodies corporate (together called the “ANZ Group”) warrants the fairness, accuracy, fitness for any particular purpose, adequacy or completeness of any information contained, or referred to, in the material on this Website.
To the maximum extent permitted by law neither the ANZ Group nor its directors, employees, agents or advisers will be liable in any way whatsoever for any loss, damage, claim, liability, cost or expense arising directly or indirectly (and whether in tort, negligence, contract, equity, statute or otherwise) from the use of, or reliance on, any information contained in and/or omitted from the material on this website. All information contained in this website is subject to change without notice.
This notice and the information in this website and all matters relating to either are governed by and are to be construed according to the laws applicable in the State of Victoria and the Commonwealth of Australia.
To view WMV files you will need a suitable media player, you can download Windows Media Player for free.
You need Adobe Reader to view PDF files. You can download Adobe Reader free of charge.