- Population: 65,500
- Languages: English, Samoan
- Ethnic Groups: Samoans, Americans, Tongans, Fijians, Chinese, Koreans, and other ethnic groups
Location: American Samoa is located approximately 2,600 miles southeast of Hawaii and 1,800 miles northwest of New Zealand.
- Currency: US Dollar
- GDP per capita (USD, 2005): USD 9,000
- GDP growth (2006 est.): 3.0%
- Exports: canned tuna 93% (2004 est.)
- Government: “unincorporated & unorganised” territory of the United States
- Head of State: Governor of American Samoa & the United States President
There are no exchange controls as such, however there are a range of other regulatory requirements in place:
- ANZ Amerika Samoa Bank™ has obligations under United States law to report certain transactions (including cross-border transactions) to US authorities. This is generally dictated by a prescribed amount or by meeting the description of a suspicious transaction.
- From time to time, US authorities may restrict or ban remittances to and from certain foreign jurisdictions which may also be the subject of trade sanctions.
American Samoa is governed by a local version of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) taxation policies that apply in the United States. There are some corporate exemptions available for businesses offering high employment and growth opportunities for the region.