Our approach and performance
Products and services that put customers first
We aim to provide convenient and uncomplicated products and services, tailored to the individual needs of our customers. This means striving to put customers first, looking after customers of all backgrounds, being easy to do business with, and providing value for money.
We provide a large and competitive range of products and services to suit individual situations. We offer simple transaction products, including:
- Access Advantage Account, easy and secure everyday banking. Enjoy the freedom to use your own money online, over the phone and overseas with your ANZ Access Visa Debit card1.No monthly account service fee if you deposit at least $2,000 a month2, or if you meet our other eligibility criteria3 (normally $5 a month).
- Community Banking Package, giving fee-free banking to seniors, full-time students, under-18s, people with disability and benefit recipients.
We have developed responsible and easy-to-understand credit products, including:
- ANZ Simplicity PLUS, a 'no frills' home loan with a lower variable interest rate and no monthly service fee
- ANZ Balance Visa, a credit card that rewards customers for making repayments rather than spending
- Drought Consolidation Loan, offering farmers a chance to consolidate existing farm debts using a long-term tailored loan facility.
We strive to develop innovative products that make managing money easier for our customers in more situations, including:
- ANZ Travel Card, a prepaid Visa card that allows customers to load up to 10 different currencies on the one card and spend with confidence when overseas
We offer more convenient banking through services including:
We also set up disaster relief appeal accounts to support communities and individuals affected by natural disasters across our region.
We have a specialist wealth business including OnePath, E*TRADE, Investment Lending, Financial Planning and ANZ's Private Bank. Together, these businesses help Australians protect, grow and transfer their wealth by providing a range of wealth and insurance products that can be purchased directly or through a financial adviser. All of this makes it easier for customers to find a solution that supports their financial needs and lifestyle goals.
We offer accessible and flexible superannuation and investment products such as
- ANZ Smart Choice Super - an innovative new product that helps customers connect with their super and lets them conveniently manage it through ANZ Internet Banking and ANZ goMoney™. Customers can access their super, check their balance and can easily add to their super when they log on to Internet Banking – they’ll never lose their super again
- OneAnswer Investment Portfolio - an investment solution designed to support customers in maximising and protecting their wealth. It offers a comprehensive range of funds and the flexibility to tailor the ideal investment solution at every life stage.
We offer flexible insurance products including
- EasyProtect Life insurance - a simple and easy way for customers to protect their family from the financial consequences of their death. Customers can choose a level of cover that suits their circumstances and budget
- OneCare which offers a complete range of covers, benefits and features, providing customers comprehensive protection for their family, their health and their lifestyle.
We are advocates for quality financial advice and offer customers access to a wide adviser network across the country. .
We offer customers a range of simple, easy to use educational tools including market updates, investment tips and strategies, help finding lost super, and webcasts from industry experts on economic and market conditions.
In 2010, we introduced a new fee structure for Australian personal banking customers, reducing or eliminating exception fees on personal accounts, in response to feedback customers want fees to be clearer and fairer.
Fees charged when a customer overdraws their account, or when a transaction is declined for insufficient funds, were reduced from $35 to $6. No fee is charged when a customer overdraws their account by less than $50.
Fees for going over a credit card limit or making a late payment on a credit card, mortgage, personal loan or Esanda consumer loan were reduced from $35 to $20.
Exception fees are not charged for customers who receive government benefits and have an Access Basic account, ANZ's concessional transaction account.
The small business sector is important in the Australian economy, with 1.93 million small businesses employing 5.1 million people - nearly half of the total workforce in Australia.
During the global financial crisis, we committed $8 billion in new lending to businesses and increased our small business lending by 10 per cent. We also employed an additional 130 small business specialists across Australia, improved online management tools and introduced a support package of initiatives to help customers facing financial difficulty.
In response to customer feedback, we have streamlined the finance application process, reducing documentation required for secured lending to existing customers. We continue to assist our customers to develop and build their businesses by offering access to a range of free business tools, online courses and industry data via our small business hub.
We have also recently introduced a new business comparison and insights website, which is helping small businesses gain valuable insights by comparing their trading data with that of similar businesses.
Our focus is to make products and services simpler for our customers. In 2012, we continued to invest in customer service and innovation, and in leveraging connectivity with our international network.
Results for 2012 include:
- Transitioning to one brand and one core banking system across ANZ and The National Bank in New Zealand
- Completing more than one million A-Z Reviews helping retail customers and small businesses with their financial goals
- Extending ANZ’s popular mobile banking application, ANZ goMoneyTM to Android devices. Currently the application has more than 780,000 registered users with over 30 million transactions valued at more than $17 billion conducted in 2012
- Establishing a $120 million start-up package to help young farmers in New Zealand
- Committing up to $500 million in new discounted mortgage lending to customers impacted by the Canterbury earthquakes in New Zealand
- Launching the Pacific Money Transfer Card to enable cost-effective remittances for customers.
We continue to deliver products and services aimed at making banking simpler and more convenient and tailored to the diverse needs of our customers.
- Installed over 2,700 audio enabled ATMs in Australia and 600 in New Zealand.
- This year, our award-winning ANZ goMoney™ application for the iPhone was enhanced to support accessibility tools designed for the vision impaired, such as VoiceOver and zooms. Find out more about our work to improve the accessibility of ANZ products and services for our people and customers with disability.
We continue to deliver products and services aimed at making banking simpler and more convenient and tailored to the diverse needs of our customers:
- We have responded to strong feedback for a service that allows customers to manage their money via mobile phones with ANZ goMoney™ - our new Australian mobile banking application.
- We ran a campaign to highlight to new and existing customers the option of switching their everyday bank account to an ANZ Access Visa Debit card, providing customers with the ability to access their money via EFTPOS and ATMs as well as everywhere Visa is accepted, making it easier for customers to spend money online, overseas and over the phone.
- We have made improvements to the way we do business to ensure we continue to provide an inclusive service for customers with disability. This includes:
- installing more than 2,000 audio-enabled ATMs and installing audio-enabling branch ticketing machines
- making nine of our most commonly used product brochures available to customers in Braille, large print and audio format
- improving compliance with WC3 accessibility standards for our intranet and website.
We will continue to identify opportunities to simplify our products and increase convenience for customers. We will also develop and implement products, services and initiatives that support social, economic and financial inclusion.
ANZ has continued our work to deliver products and services aimed at making banking simpler and more convenient and tailored to the diverse needs of our customers:
- Simpler banking for community groups. A customised banking package for non-profit community groups in Australia was launched this year, offering products with waived or discounted fees and no monthly package fee.
- Retirement Banking Specialists have been placed in over 200 branches across Australia to make banking less complicated and more relevant for older customers. These specialists bankers have been trained to discuss retirement plans and the financial strategies that can help older customers achieve their retirement goals.
- Over 50,000 customers have registered for ANZ Money Manager, allowing people to see all their financial information on one secure website, making it easier for them to identify monthly spending patterns, set monthly budgets and schedule loan repayments.
- A 'Moving to Australia' site makes it easier for people in China to establish Australian banking services before relocating, containing Chinese language translations of information on how to open accounts, convert and transfer money and purchase property in Australia.
- The MySpace Recharge card is a prepaid Visa debit card designed to provide young people a simple and convenient way to use their own money and can be topped up at MySpace.
- Electronic statements: Credit card and transaction account customers can now opt to receive their account statements electronically through internet banking. Almost 600,000 accounts are registered for electronic statements, generating a saving to ANZ of around A$843,000 and some 42 tonnes of paper.
We will continue to identify opportunities to simplify our products and increase convenience.
ANZ has introduced a host of new products and services in the past year aimed at making banking simpler and more convenient and to promote increased savings and better money management. These include:
- ANZ Access Limited account with no exception fees
- ANZ Simplicity PLUS 'no-frills' home loan, part of a broader effort to simplify our range of mortgage products, creating clearer differences between each
- ANZ MoneyManager online personal finance aggregator
- SmartyPig, the online equivalent of the ever popular piggy bank, which allows customers to track their progress against savings goals via social networking sites such as Facebook and MySpace or the SmartyPig website
- First Home Saver Account giving customers access to the Federal Government initiative which provides tax benefits and matched Government contributions to people saving for their first home
tailoring information, products and services to support a diverse range of ANZ customers, including women, migrant customers and customers with disability.
- We launched Be Money Confident, Australia's first website dedicated to providing useful financial and lifestyle information for women. ANZ WorldWise makes banking easier for Chinese students moving to Australia to study by allowing families to set up an Australian bank account and transfer funds from their Chinese account into their child's Australian account when needed.
We will continue to identify opportunities to simplify our products and increase convenience. Our 2009 Corporate Responsibility goals include a commitment to introduce new online products to assist customers to more effectively manage their money.
1. Where Visa is accepted. Eligibility criteria apply to issue of ANZ Access Visa Debit card. Overseas transactions fees may apply to foreign currency transactions. Please refer to the ANZ Personal Banking Account Fees and Charges (PDF 92kB) for fees and charges that apply.
2. Monthly account service fee waived for ANZ Access Advantage accounts opened on or after 30 November 2013 if you deposit $2,000 or more by the last business day of the calendar month.
3. Eligibility criteria apply. The monthly account service fee will be waived on one nominated ANZ Access Advantage account. For more information on Exemptions and Concessions please refer to ANZ Personal Banking Account Fees and Charges.
You need Adobe Reader to view PDF files. You can download Adobe Reader free of charge.